National Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSREC) - NSERC Alliance COVID-19 grants
NSERC supports over 11,000 world-class researchers across Canada, and we fund their research collaborations with over 4,000 companies. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, NSERC is leveraging the expertise of researchers in natural science and engineering and their partners across Canada to address this unprecedented crisis.
Subsidy: max. $50,000
Deadline: 1 June 2020
Project duration: max. 1 year
Consortium: Canada; university researchers collaborating with private-sector, public-sector or not-for-profit organizations.
- The principal investigator must hold an active peer-reviewed grant from NSERC as primary applicant at the time of application.
- You must have at least one partner organization (in the private, public or not-for-profit sector) who will be engaged throughout the research process and that can utilize the expertise or the research results from the project.
Scope: The objectives of the NSERC Alliance COVID-19 grants are to:
- accelerate the flow and exchange of research results and research expertise in the natural sciences and engineering sectors between academic researchers and public, not for profit and industry partners by supporting these organizations as they face challenges in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic;
- support research and analysis activities that address partner organization questions or issues in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, leading to applications in the short term.
Examples of eligible projects include, but are not limited to:
- computational modeling and simulation for improved understanding of viral populations and of viral evolution;
- new technologies relevant to the COVID-19 pandemic;
- better understanding of viral persistence in the environment;
- design and engineering expertise in advanced manufacturing of COVID-19-relevant equipment and supplies.
The subsidy landscape is responding quickly to the COVID-19 virus and the problems this crisis causes world-wide. A lot of new funding opportunities are being released to assist researchers and companies with their Research and Development activities against COVID-19. We have made an overview of all COVID-19 grants & funding opportunities. Check our COVID-19 Call Overview and stay up-to-date.
A more detailed and tailor-made overviews are available in 3 different products:
- Funding Scan. A summarized overview of funding opportunities for one specific R&D project with a short profile of the researcher or company. This includes a strategy with upcoming funding opportunities for the next year.
- Funding Advice. A detailed description of your company, research group, R&D projects and an overview of the timelines involved in future development. This includes a funding strategy for each project for the next 2 years.
- Funding Plan. A long-term funding strategy taking into consideration multiple R&D pillars. This detailed strategy focuses on multiple sources of funding and addresses financial weaknesses in continuing strategic planning.
Read more about it on our Strategic Funding Advice page.