AAL Call 2021 is part of the Active & Assisted Living Programme that was approved in May 2014 by the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union. As part of the work-programme, the AAL Programme launched a new Challenge-led Call for Proposals in December 2021. The aim of this Call is to support innovative, transnational and multi-disciplinary collaborative projects.
Note: The AAL programme was a Horizon 2020 initiative, and the AAL Call 2021 was the last one planned as the Programme has reached its end.
There are no concrete plans to set up a similar initiative for now.
AAL 2021 Grant Information
Deadline: No open calls for now
To get free funding updates, including the AAL Programme, subscribe to Catalyze Alerts.
The AAL Programme seeks to improve the autonomy of older adults, increase participation in social life, develop new skills, and improve their employability by providing innovative Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) /digital- based solutions. These solutions, whether products, systems or services, aim to enhance quality of life for older adults’, while improving long-term sustainability of health and care systems, and strengthening the industrial base in Europe and internationally. To reach the above mentioned goals cooperation with relevant stakeholders – particularly end-users and business partners – within the relevant active & healthy ageing ecosystem is essential. This can be done through the activation and involvement of stakeholders at local, regional, national or transnational level.
Digital solutions in health and care can support the wellbeing of older adults in many areas of their daily lives at home and in their communities. They can also support care professionals and informal carers and help tap into the labour potential of active and healthy older people. While keeping an open call approach, AAL would like to stress three elements, namely an inclusive health & care approach (health prevention, preservation of physical & mental health, social participation), the stimulation and upscaling of innovation in active & healthy ageing through health & care eco-systems and the accessibility of digital solutions to end users, e.g. through education for greater e-literacy.
AAL Programme Projects
There are 2 types of projects:
1. Collaborative projects
- Project duration: A Collaborative Project has a duration of a minimum of 12 to a maximum of 30 months.
- Funding: The maximum funding from the AAL Programme per project is €2,500,000 (the indicative total budget being €5,000,000).
- Technology Readiness Level: Collaborative Projects funded under Call 2021 will be operating in TRL 5-8.
- Develop, test, validate, scaleup and integrate into service delivery models ICT solutions for ageing well;
- Develop innovative ICT solutions to support holistic approaches to healthy ageing;
- Contribute to the creation/strengthening/connection of ecosystems limited to a task in the dissemination-related activities of the proposal.
2. Small collaborative projects
- Project duration: A Small Collaborative Project has a duration of 6 to 9 months. They are intended to be quicker and more agile than Collaborative Projects including in relation to the submission process, grant signature and reporting.
- Funding: The maximum funding from the AAL Programme per project is €300,000.
- Technology Readiness Level (TRL): No TRL is applied to this type of project.
- Explore new ideas, new collaborations as well as new user approaches for ICT-based solutions for older adults.
- Propose proofs of concept for further development of innovative ICT solutions.
- Rapidly evaluate the business potential of available/new AAL products and Services
Who can apply?
Consortiums composed of at least 3 independent eligible organisations (legal entities), from at least 3 different AAL Partner States participating in the Call for Proposals. Participating countries are, Austria, Belgium (Flanders), Denmark, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Switzerland.
Visit the AAL Programme website
Get funding, make impact
Whether you’re an academic or entrepreneur, we craft the roadmap you need to take on the challenges present in finding funding and reaching your market. With over 10 years of experience, we are your gateway to European funding, and beyond.
- Fund. What if funding wasn’t a barrier to innovation? We guide you through the way of finding and obtaining funds.
- Grow. What if your journey was clear? Get the best support for your grant journey.
- Manage. What if you only had to focus on R&D? We provide the support you need to get your innovation on the market.