The Innovation Fund is one of the largest funding programmes for demonstration of innovative low-carbon technologies. There is a total budget of €10 billion available between 2020-2030, making it one of the largest funding programmes for demonstration of innovative low-carbon technologies. It is also one of the most important instruments of the European Union to reach the goals set under the Paris Agreement. Read on to discover more about this significant funding programme.
Innovation Fund – Budget and deadlines
Total budget: €38B
Budget for 2023 rounds:
– Small scale: €100M
– Large scale: €3B (it was doubled for last round)
There are two categories within the Innovation Fund:
– Small-scale projects:
- €100M support for grants and €5M for project development assistance support
- Duration: 3 years
- Budget is calculated based on the relevant costs. Projects with a capital between 2.5M and 7.5M are eligible (lump sum)
- Funding rate: 60%
- Opened 30 March – deadline: 19 September 2023
– Large-scale projects
- 3B as budget (doubled)
- Duration: 3 – 15 years
- Project budget > 7.5M
- Funding rate: 60%
- The 2023 call deadline for Large-scale projects was 16 March 2023
Innovation Fund – Who can apply?
A single legal entity, as well as a consortium of legal entities, can apply for funding under the Innovation Fund The aim is to support innovative low-carbon technologies in all Member States (EU companies) in taking off and reaching the market. The project has to be implemented in one of the EU Member States, Norway or Iceland. This means that projects implemented outside these countries are ineligible. However, the project applicant does not need to be controlled by EU investors.
Innovation Fund – What is the focus?
The Innovation Fund will focus on highly innovative technologies and big flagship projects with European value added that can lead to significant reductions in emissions. It is about sharing the risk with project promoters to help with the demonstration of first-of-a-kind highly innovative projects. At the same time, the projects need to be sufficiently mature in terms of planning, business model and financial and legal structure.
The Innovation Fund focuses on:
- Innovative low-carbon technologies and processes in energy intensive industries, including products substituting carbon intensive ones
- Carbon capture and utilisation (CCU)
- Construction and operation of carbon capture and storage (CCS)
- Innovative renewable energy generation
- Energy storage
Visit the Innovation Fund website for more information
Get funding, make impact
Whether you’re an academic or entrepreneur, we craft the roadmap you need to take on the challenges present in finding funding and reaching your market. With over 10 years of experience, we are your gateway to European funding, and beyond.
- Fund. What if funding wasn’t a barrier to innovation? We guide you through the way of finding and obtaining funds.
- Grow. What if your journey was clear? Get the best support for your grant journey.
- Manage. What if you only had to focus on R&D? We provide the support you need to get your innovation on the market.