At the heart of the EU Green Deal, the LIFE programme has proudly funded over 5500 projects since 1992. Born in line and in time with the Habitat’s directive, it has evolved into an instrument that still supports Nature conservation but is also driving the movement towards a Circular Economy and Clean Energy future. Two key areas (Environment and Climate) are divided into 4 sub-programs, and the goal is essentially to protect and preserve LIFE.
LIFE Programme 2021-2027
The LIFE programme supports the EU’s Green Deal’s objectives through policy driven action, KPIs and freedom to create tailor made projects. With a sizeable budget increase as well as a new sub-programme funding Coordination Support Actions in Clean Energy, diversity and sustainability are key.
The 2022 call for proposals is expected to be published on 17 May 2022. Visit the LIFE – Calls for Proposals page for more information.
LIFE Programme 2021-2027 Budget
The funding increase of almost 60% provides a total budget of €5.4 billion. This budget will be split, with €3.5 billion going to Environment and €1.9 billion to Climate. In it’s totality, through the programme, 30% of the EU’s budget will therefore contribute to climate objectives and up to 10% to biodiversity.
The new and expanded LIFE programme is now divided into four sub-programmes:
- Nature and biodiversity
- Within this sub-programme new projects are expected to further protect species and their habitats. Expanding, protecting, preserving and nurturing nature for a sustainable and balanced future.
- Circular economy and quality of life
- The priority of this sub-programme is as straight forward as it is circular. Waste is a resource and needs great management to render already available critical raw materials more accessible. Specific topics under this umbrella also include air, water, soil, noise, chemicals and the new European Bauhaus.
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation
- With a distinction between mitigation and adaptation, the areas of intervention here include ozone-depletion, carbon sinks, nature-based solutions in the management of land, coasts and marine areas, adapting cities and regions to climate, preparedness for extreme weather events and more. How can we predict, prevent, mitigate and adapt.
- Clean energy transition
- This is a new addition to the LIFE programme and funds LIFE projects (specifically CSAs) dedicated to energy efficiency and renewables. It aims to ease the transition towards an energy-efficient, renewable energy-based, climate-neutral and resilient economy. And it aims to remove the market barriers that can hamper the socio-economic transition to sustainable energy.
To get free funding updates, including the LIFE programme, subscribe to Catalyze Alerts.
About the LIFE Programme
The LIFE programme is an ambitious funding programme from the European Union. It’s goal is to stimulate both environmental and climate action. Since 1992 over 5.500 projects received financing from the LIFE programme. The new-look LIFE programme has now been announced by the EU. On this page you can find all available information.
Visit the website for more information
Get funding, make impact
Whether you’re an academic or entrepreneur, we craft the roadmap you need to take on the challenges present in finding funding and reaching your market. With over 10 years of experience, we are your gateway to European funding, and beyond.
- Fund. What if funding wasn’t a barrier to innovation? We guide you through the way of finding and obtaining funds.
- Grow. What if your journey was clear? Get the best support for your grant journey.
- Manage. What if you only had to focus on R&D? We provide the support you need to get your innovation on the market.