Horizon Europe Budget
In 2021, the Horizon Europe programme will succeed the Horizon 2020 program. The Horizon Europe budget will be approximately €75.9 billion. Horizon Europe will run from 2021, lasting until 2027. Currently the exact budget allocation is still under consultation. But Catalyze has gathered all the officially published budget information on this page.
Download our Horizon Europe Guide
We have written an extensive guide for academics and companies looking for information about Horizon Europe. In this guide we have gathered all available information and explain how to draft the perfect proposal so you maximize your chances of getting funded.
Horizon Europe Budget allocation
The preliminary structure of Horizon Europe is divided over 3 pillars and 1 horizontal focus area. The total budget of €75.9 will be divided over these pillars.
- Excellent Science
- Global Challenges and European Industrial Competitiveness
- Innovative Europe aims to improve SME growth and the European innovation landscape.
The horizontal pillar will focus on Widening Participation, throughout the entire Horizon Europe program. The aim of this is to widen the participation in Horizon Europe throughout the entire continent and improve the participation of low R&I performing Member States in Horizon Europe. This pillar is expected to include programs like: Teaming, Twinning, Cost and ERA Chairs.
Get Horizon Europe budget updates with Catalyze Alerts
Staying up-to-date on funding programs is important, but takes a lot of time. With Catalyze Alerts you will receive all relevant updates on upcoming funds: Horizon Europe, but also EIC and Eurostars 2021.
Excellent Science Budgets
Within Pillar 1: Excellent Science, three work programmes have been included in the preliminary structure. For those work programmes there have been no official budget estimates made available since the budget was changed in July 2020. But by looking at the Horizon 2020 budgets, we can get rough estimates on the budgets.
- European Research Council (ERC). Funding frontier research designed and driven by the best researchers in Europe. Some tentative timelines for calls in 2021 have been published for ERC calls. Of the Horizon 2020 budget, 17% (€13.1 billion) was allocated to ERC grants. When this is the same for Horizon Europe, the ERC budget would be approximately €12.9 billion, about €1.8 billion per year.
- Marie Sklodowska Curie Actions (MSCA). Funding fellowships and mobility of researchers. A preliminary deadline for MSCA-ITN has been published. From 2014 – 2020, the MSCA budget was €6.2 billion, which is 8% of the total budget. For Horizon Europe this will translate to about €6 billion in funding, just under €1 billion per year
- Research Infrastructures (RI). Funding new world-class research infrastructures had a €2.5 billion budget under the Horizon 2020 program, which will translate into an estimated budget of €2.4 billion.