The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) is a organisation providing funding for Dutch researchers. NWO defined multiple pillars, representing multiple scientific fields: Social Sciences and Humanities, Applied and Engineering Sciences, Science and Health Research and Development (ZonMw).
Each pillar funds research through multiple programmes. Life Sciences applications are usually within the aim of the pillar Applied and Engineering Sciences. Programmes that fund research in this domain are:
- Public-Private Partnership, such as the programmes Perspectief, Partnership and Demonstrator
- Application oriented research, via the Open Technology Programme and the Open Mind programme
- Stimulating activity and entrepreneurship within research facilities, via the Take-off programme
- Research Talent via Rubicon, the Talent Scheme (Veni, Vidi, Vici)
- Strategic programming (including the Top Sectors and the Dutch National Research Agenda – NWA)