Wellcome Trust Innovator Awards
The Wellcome Trust is an independent foundation, founded by, Sir Henry Wellcome, a medical entrepreneur. Up to now, Wellcome Trust has invested £26.8 billion and plans to invest £5 billion in the next 5 years helping people across the world explore great ideas.
The Wellcome Trust funds research through many different grants, including funding for individuals, teams, resources, seed ideas, places and major initiatives in multiple research areas:
- Biomedical science
- Population health
- Product development and applied research
- Humanities and social science
- Public engagement and creative industries.
The Innovator Award is one of their open topic grants, for researchers and companies world-wide.
Subsidy: Up to £500,000, or up to £750,000 for multidisciplinary collaborations.
Funding rate: A contribution to the project from the applicant is expected
Project duration: 2 years
Researchers (individuals and teams) from not-for-profit and commercial organizations can apply. Organizations can be of any size, based anywhere in the world. Can be single applicant or with partners. There are no limits to this call in terms of group size.
Wellcome encourages proposals that are:
- multidisciplinary collaborators from the same or different organizations and/or;
- partnerships between not-for-profit and commercial organizations.
These awards support researchers who are transforming great ideas into healthcare innovations that could have a significant impact on human health. You can work in any scientific discipline, including a discipline outside life sciences. You can work on any type of technology. The work that you propose must be essential for developing your healthcare innovation. Examples of technologies include:
- Therapeutics (small molecules or biologics)
- Digital technology
- Regenerative medicine.
Organizations that are successful in obtaining an Innovator Award must sign up to the grant conditions outlined in the template award letters before they can receive it. Wellcome Trust UK reserves the right to ask for an alternative or amended contract.
Wellcome Trust UK requires a proportional share of any financial benefits arising from any commercial exploitation of a Wellcome-funded project, as outlined in the Innovator Awards template revenue sharing agreement. For companies this will most probably take the form of a convertible loan agreement.
Get funding, make impact
Whether you’re an academic or entrepreneur, we craft the roadmap you need to take on the challenges present in finding funding and reaching your market. With over 10 years of experience, we are your gateway to European funding, and beyond.
- Fund. What if funding wasn’t a barrier to innovation? We guide you through the way of finding and obtaining funds.
- Grow. What if your journey was clear? Get the best support for your grant journey.
- Manage. What if you only had to focus on R&D? We provide the support you need to get your innovation on the market.